Monday, January 09, 2006

Malaria Pills

I am getting ready to go back to Tanzania next week. Although the airfare is quite high, I decided to sublet my apartment and use the money to fund my trip. But the challenge doesn't stop there. I found out that Malarone malaria pills are going to cost me anywhere between $350 and $500. I don't have health insurance right now since I have already quit my job and am working as a volunteer. Even if I were still working today, the insurance still would not cover it entirely as the coverage is limited to 30 pills each year or each trip. It makes you wonder how the people in Africa who are most vulnerable to malaria could afford such medicine if I can't. Some friends offered to get the pills from Mexico or Canada but with no success. Some friends got advice from their doctor friends and said that I should skipped the pills altogether and just get treatment when I get the disease. It is amazing what doctors would say off record! It's unbelievable!

Got a text message from Tanzania at 2:30 in the morning as Lema was meeting with the Maasai women's group that we are working with. The group has ballooned from 26 members to 76. Apparently, the news about the goat project has spread. Many women from the surrounding villages who are eager to get help jammed the meeting room. Working independently as a volunteer without backing of any NGOs, I realized that I need to clearly define the scope of each project and stick to it. I recognized that I will not be able to save everyone in the world but should feel good that even just a few people that I can offer help to. My plan is to move on to other villages that are farther away from the major cities where foreign aid does always reach.

I picked up some children's clothes and toys from Xiomara last week. They will be donated to the orphanages in Tanzania. I am also looking for funding for the new projects. I checked with a couple non-profit organizations and learned that there are some unspoken rules about who they will or can help. This is all new to me. I am putting together a photobook that perhaps can help raise some fund for the upcoming projects. "Hakuna Matata" I keep telling myself - Don't worry. I will figure something out one way or another.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home