Monday, February 20, 2006

Return to Haysali

When I visited Haysali 2 weeks ago, I knew this is where my new project should focus on. I talked to several experts in agriculture and livestock to prepare myself for this trip. I also spoke with some NGOs to see if anyone was already working in the area or would be interested in reaching out. None of them had the bandwith to do so. This makes it even more important for me to try to do everything I can to bring help to the area, no matter how small it is. I was able to convince Moses who has agriculture background to join me in my efforts.

The agriculture officer from the area accompanied us on our visit. With his help, we were able to gather 35 villagers to attend our discussion. I asked everyone to introduce themselves and tell us about their family size, land acreage and main challenges. It was obvious that most families are large and yet have land that is one acre or less. The drought, steep hills and lack of good agricultural techniques and materials have compounded the problem.

As soon the men started talking, I noticed that the women became very shy and their participation diminished. I decided to break up the group by gender so we could talk to them separately.

Small land and successive drought not only limits the farm output, it also creates a situation where livestock and competing for food. One of the families only had 2 bags of maize left in their storage. With no rain in sight, there would be no new maize for months. I was horrified.

Over population causes encroachment on the pasture and water sources so the animals are not fed properly and it takes longer to raise a pig or cow before they could be sold for extra income. Most people still live in traditional (thatched) houses with no electricity. There was very little grass left to build their roof or feed their animals. Even growing vegetable has become challenging due to lack of water.

The villages will need help very soon, and I am not sure if the government will be able to come to their rescue as the villagers are hoping for. I felt so heavy as I left the villages.

From Tanzania, Africa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home